Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Betsy Ross House

The Betsy Ross House
The Betsy Ross House 
I visited the Betsy Ross house the other day, what an experience. I naturally couldn’t go upstairs with my wheelchair but I was able to tour the 1st floor and the courtyard out back. Built circa 1740, the Betsy Ross house is one of those examples where I take what I can get. While others may complain the upstairs isn’t accessible with a wheelchair I’m glad I was able to enter it and see the beautiful restoration of the building. Putting an elevator in a 273 year old building in my opinion would take away from the homes’ charm.

There’s a beautiful courtyard with a fountain in the rear that is also accessible where you can grab a hotdog and listen to a story from Betsy herself. Now I know there are debates over whether Betsy actual designed the flag. I don’t really understand what the big deal is. Betsy and her husband owned an upholstery business and also made flags during that time period. If not her, someone else obviously designed and stitched the flag in a place just like this. Good enough for me.

Philadelphia has done its’ forefathers proud with
this one. Truly a step back in time and one you can enjoy while traveling in a wheelchair. I'm curious if others agree with me on whether there should be an elevator in this building. I myself don't want to see the historic integrity of this treasure compromised. I was tickled pink I could get inside and have that feeling of awe thinking it all happened here.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lovely day out Bill. You seeme to have re-acquired 13 people in your circles and solitary little me in you followers. I looked at the circle option and couldn't see the point for me so didn't bother, hope things pick up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and feedback to make my blog better.